René Anderson-Cowell, M.D.
Western Society of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
Executive Director of WSAAI, 2014-Present
“cure sometimes, treat often; comfort always” ~Hippocrates
Providing a framework for patient education and empowerment is essential for personal health. Managing illness is a partnership and requires active patient-physician interchange. We live in a world where information is quickly available and plentiful. At times it becomes difficult to navigate the volumes of accurate and inaccurate information that are available. My role is to guide the patient in the right direction and provide the tools and medicines for optimal health.
Dr. Anderson-Cowell received her BA in Biology and Chemistry from Hofstra University in New York. She then went to medical school in Syracuse, New York with a strong interest in understanding the immune system and how HIV attacked a very specific part of the immune system. At that time she was trying to discover a cure for HIV and was involved in basic science research.
Dr. Anderson-Cowell attended Yale University School of Medicine where she completed a fellowship in Allergy and Clinical Immunology. She was an Associate research Scientist there in the division of Immunobiology. She and her husband moved to Portland, Oregon where they now have two wonderful children. She has practiced with AADA since 1998 and continues to enjoy taking care of patients with allergic and Immunologic diseases. In her free time she enjoys attending her children’s sports activities, oil painting, writing, and going for long walks with her dog Lola.
- Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY, B.A.
- SUNY Health Science Center, Syracuse, NY, M.D.
Internship and Residency
- Suny Health Science Center, Syracuse, NY, Internal Medicine
- Allergy/Clinical Immunology, Yale University, School of Medicine
- Molecular Immunology, Post Doctoral Fellow, Yale University, Department of Biology
Previous Academic Appointments
- Attending, Allergy & Clinical Immunology Clinic, Yale University, School of Medicine
- Associate Research Scientist, Yale University, Department of Biology
- HIV Specialist, Yale HIV in Prisons Program, Yale University, School of Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Allergy & Immunology
- American Board of Pediatrics